Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kuala Lumpur AGAIN

Hopefully my last night in Kuala Lumpur, on this trip at least. It's a bit of a vortex on the Air Asia highway and serves as a useful base between Malaysia/Borneo/Indonesia.It isn't that I dislike the city - I'm quite taken by parts of it actually - but I've done it to death on this trip now and tomorrow sees me move south to Melaka.
You know you've spent too much time in KL when you use the Petronas Towers merely as an orientation point. This weekend is a national holiday here in Malaysia and Independence Day is on August 31st. Consequently accommodation's proving quite difficult to come by in some of the regions outside the cities. Urban areas disgorge themselves of people during the holidays as Malays make their way to the beach or to the Cameron Highlands for cooler temperatures.
The Cameron Highlands are on my itinerary also but only once the holiday madness ends. Melaka - a former Portuguese colony - is about 150km south of here, has great food, cheap accommodation so what's not to love?


No comments:

Post a Comment